[Dixielandjazz] Food for the Band and Cleethorpes Jazz Festival

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 15:19:49 PDT 2013

> I can't be bothered with attempting to compartmentalise jazz according to
> vague stylistic definitions and I tend to think of jazz as being all the
> one music up to the point where rock and ethnic rhythms started to supplant
> swinging time and Coltrane started to alter the basis of improvisation, so
> I tend to think of all the swinging stuff as belonging to the broad
> mainstream of jazz.

Since  Guy Lombardo often had swing, as did most of the sweet bands, that
would qualify all that saccharine stuff as jazz.  I don't compartmentalise
jazz either, but simply do not consider a lot of what is classified as such
"jazz."  After all, you know what they say of meat, poison, and the like.

> The bill at Cleethorpes had, among others, Scots-born, London-based
> guitarist Jim Mullen, whose primary influence was Wes Montgomery, although
> he's very much his own man playing in a similar hard-hitting vein as
> Montgomery. Great swinging jazz that defies categorisation and makes me
> feel good. There were two English singers who are truly world-class:
> Claire Martin and Tina May, both tasteful, accurate, swinging and inventive
> interpreters of great songs working with fine swinging rhythm sections. An
> afternoon concert featured the Wigan Youth Jazz Orchestra, a multi
> award-winning band of great youngsters whose repertoire covers big band
> music from the 1930s to '90s. Throughout the weekend David Newton
> (piano), Alan Barnes (reeds) and Dave Green (bass), genuine world-class,
> hard swinging players who cover a wide range of jazz idioms with class
> worked with various soloists and singers

I agree with regards to the last two.  Not necessarily the former.

> and the music of such as Benny Golson, Horace Silver, Art Blakey etc,

Is it jazz?  A good question, which may have no answer.

> so the programme had variety and quality and it all swung hard. No banjos
> or tubas or funny hats or silly uniforms - just swinging jazz played well,
> so I'll settle for that.

As I've said - one man's meat...

Cheers