[Dixielandjazz] Food for the Band and Cleethorpes Jazz Festival

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 10:08:25 PDT 2013

Hi Marek et al,

I can't be bothered with attempting to compartmentalise jazz according to vague stylistic definitions and I tend to think of jazz as being all the one music up to the point where rock and ethnic rhythms started to supplant swinging time and Coltrane started to alter the basis of improvisation, so I tend to think of all the swinging stuff as belonging to the broad mainstream of jazz.

The bill at Cleethorpes had, among others, Scots-born, London-based guitarist Jim Mullen, whose primary influence was Wes Montgomery, although he's very much his own man playing in a similar hard-hitting vein as Montgomery. Great swinging jazz that defies categorisation and makes me feel good. There were two English singers who are truly world-class: Claire Martin and Tina May, both tasteful, accurate, swinging and inventive interpreters of great songs working with fine swinging rhythm sections. An afternoon concert featured the Wigan Youth Jazz Orchestra, a multi award-winning band of great youngsters whose repertoire covers big band music from the 1930s to '90s. Throughout the weekend David Newton (piano), Alan Barnes (reeds) and Dave Green (bass), genuine world-class, hard swinging players who cover a wide range of jazz idioms with class worked with various soloists and singers. There were also loads of locally-based players of quality playing Hot Club music and the music of such as Benny Golson, Horace Silver, Art Blakey etc, so the programme had variety and quality and it all swung hard. No banjos or tubas or funny hats or silly uniforms - just swinging jazz played well, so I'll settle for that.

Cheers,

Ken