[Dixielandjazz] Jack, The Good For Nothing?

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jan 31 17:24:29 PST 2013

Hello Gary

I can't remember the question being asked before on the DJML - it's a
beauty!

Your fear, that the movie is lost, is probably correct. The American
Film Institute Catalog lists it but does not record it as having been
seen by Institute staff. From the plot summary we see that the movie is
a "city vs country" piece. The cast list given by the AFI does not
include the members of the ODJB and the only firm data is the release
date. Perhaps significantly, the number of reels and copyright details
are not given.

Your reference to the "1914 Chaplin film of a similar name" puzzled me,
until I realised that /The good for nothing/ is an alternative title for
the well-known /His new profession/.

All the best,
Anton