[Dixielandjazz] Lawrence Welk

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 25 16:50:05 PST 2013

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:

I am sure Lawrence Welk featured Dixieland because it was regarded by the audience

as not out of style at the time.

(snip)

Wrong. He featured Dixieland because he loved it. He had complete control over what was presented on his show.

I suspect some OKOM musicians might have been happy to keep their musical powder

dry if (as Albert McCarthy observed) rather than being guests with Mr. Welk there

hadn't been a large expectation they would emulate the bits of the show between which

they appeared.

(snip)

I am not sure what the last paragraph means. However, I pulled out the phrase:

“rather than being guests with Mr. Welk”

Thus I deduce that Robert is saying that some Jazz musicians would rather not appear on the Welk show.

Possibly. But all I can say that if any of them had any business sense, they certainly would appear on the show if they had the chance. It paid well and would give them tremendous exposure.

Speaking of Welk’s control over what was presented on his show, he would have the tapes of the rehearsals sent over to his house. He would listen to them and instruct his arrangers on what parts to take out. He knew that the general public did not understand complicated arrangements. They just wanted to hear the simple, straight forward melody. That is what he always insisted on. If you watch his show, now on reruns on PBS, you will hear very simple, almost corny arrangements. But, he was tremendously successful.

--Bob Ringwald