[Dixielandjazz] Hines Air-shots (was Ray Nance)

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Sun Jan 20 14:09:11 PST 2013

Hi Marek,

You're not mad, dear pal, or maybe I am too! I hear that connection too, but
I suppose it was natural that the first generation of saxophonists, in
trying to develop the instrument for soloing, had to listen to the
clarinettists who had gone before. I see it as further proof of one of the
pet theories of the late Douglas Adams. If the name is unfamiliar, he was
the author of the hugely entertaining series of books called The
Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. He also wrote a series of humorous novels
about a holistic private detective called Dirk Gently, whose central
philosophy was "the inter-connectedness of everything." Dirk Gently takes
this to ludicrous extremes in the books, but is always proved right in the
end, to the mystification of the cops who were invariably stumped by the
case.

So, by extension, the Creole clarinettists, Lester Young, Charlie Parker and
every saxophonist since then are in some way inter-connected! Incidentally,
do any of the ace sleuths on our list know if Lorenzo Tio taught any
clarinettists outside of black and Creole musicians? It's known he taught
Jimmy Noone, Barney Bigard, Albert Nicholas, Omer Simeon, Louis Cottrell Jr,
Albert Burnbank, Peter Duconge, Johnny Dodds and Sidney Bechet (although the
latter two claimed to have had little formal teaching from him). Harold
Dejan also claimed that he, Darnell Howard and Russell Procope had also been
taught by him. There must have been others. Although he's thought of as a
Creole, Tio was originally of Spanish descent by way of Mexico and
photographs of him show no obvious African-American characteristics. So, in
the racially-divided world of early 20th century New Orleans, he probably
passed for white while associating with Creole and black musicians, so it's
possible that he may have taught some of the white players too. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ken