[Dixielandjazz] Time symbols

J McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 17 12:08:57 PST 2013

Typically, when bands play tunes such as After You've Gone in a swing style, such as this performance by Fiona Apple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiFH3XDeq4I

.....then change to a "faster" tempo, such as this performance by Django/Grappelli, it isn't actually being played faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTH_Nn_TtDI

The essential change is that the "swing" eighth notes change to "straight" eighth notes.  As some have pointed out, in written form, the time signature may change from 4/4 to 2/2 (also called cut time or alla breve), but what stays the same is the beat. The change might also be written as quarter note = half note.

Replay the Django recording above and sing (or play) the melody in swing style overtop of the straight 8ths they play, (or just simply imitate with your voice a high-hat playing swing eighths). Their melody isn't any faster than yours.

Confusion is created when a band leader turns to the band at the end of the first chorus and calls out "faster!", when it actually isn't. If he would simply say "cut time", that would be clearer. Actually, I prefer the term that Les Muscutt always used, "double time" (not the same as "half time").

I have played in bands that just go to an arbitrary faster tempo. That easily causes rhythmic and time aberrations within the ensemble. They don't see that the two styles should have something to link them together........something in common. I feel it is the rhythm section's responsibility to get the relationship correct between the two styles of the tune. It solidifies the time, the transition and it makes everyone's job easier.......not to mention it's more musical.
That's my $.02.  Too much inside baseball?

Ducking the brickbats,
John
(Tuba/Bass)