[Dixielandjazz] Mike Vax's remarks

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:34:09 PST 2013

>Set up a nice 2 or 4 beat, then go at it. I've played Lady >Madonna (Beetles), On the Road Again (Willie Nelson) >and Sentimental Journey with a disco beat for trad >societies, but used the traditional 5-piece "dixieland" band >to do it, and they "rock".

After all, it seems that I am more conservative than you, Bill - I
can't take "disco" beat; I much less mind the instrumentation.  And,
aftr all, ir is not really 4-beat as in jazz - it doesn't swing!  On
the other hand, I mind less the "traditional 5-piece - as far as I am
concerned, four or tree are also fine.  I've heard many exciting trad
groups of four - cornet, clarinet/saxophone, banjo/guitar and brass
bass/double bass.  Some of them had a piano in place of the banjo, and
some had drums/washboards instead of a bass.  Playing newer numbers is
fine - just listen to what the World's Greatest Jazz BAnd did with
then current pop numbers.
It's wonderful to hear young traditional bands - they appeal to young
audiences much more!
As to knowledge of instruments - we live in different societies; I
have a (perhaps unjustifed) feeling that here most kids will know what
a clarinet is (more klezmer on the box than in the States?).
Cheers