[Dixielandjazz] Disavowing our roots

♫ Sharp Bill - - B# ♫ A1tradtrmpt at att.net
Mon Jan 14 13:15:59 PST 2013

Brian,
 so, after pulling my head out of the sand, and removing the blinders, you are obviously saying that we should now diversify and bring cajun, rock and roll, be-bop and perhaps even rap into our midst so as to survive.  If  King Oliver, Jelly Roll Norton and Louis Armstrong were alive today that is what they would be doing, in order to propagate diversity. Perhaps Louie, to truly diversify,  would include yodeling.    In that case throw out what has been called Our Kind Of Music, as there would no longer be such a thing.

Also, read this letter, and my original, twice to fully capture what I'm really saying - -The jazz societies each have a charter.   Our Stockton society has one. Along the same lines , each has a statement like this in the By-Laws.  Our  By-laws state:

The object is this Society shall be to: (a)- preserve and promote Dixieland Jazz music; (b) provide a common meeting place where Dixieland Jazz musicians may perform their art to interested audiences; (c) provide interested musicians with the opportunity to become more proficient in the performance of Dixieland Jazz;  (d) provide liaison and exchange between Dixieland Jazz musicians and the listening public.

No other type of music defined by the adjective "Dixieland"  is allowed AS DEFINED BY CHARTER..  ( Some clubs replace"Dixieland Jazz" with "Traditional Jazz").  And it is because of the nature of these clubs as history-preserving institutions that they get  their tax-free exemptions.   If we pull our heads out of dark places, and diversify, (as you are attesting that Oliver, Norton and Armstrong would do)  then I think the government has a right to remove our tax free status.  If it ever came to light, what we are actually doing within the confines of our walls, perhaps they will.  Virtual reality it's called.

So sorry, but  King Oliver, Jelly Roll Norton and Louis Armstrong  are dead.  The societies were started to preserve and honor the style of music they played "way back when".   I hardly think it is your job to guess what they would be doing today.  The Charters I constantly refer to state exactly what we must be doing.  We are not supposed to operate, using the by-laws, in any fashion other than to preserve traditional music. Period.  Period with an exclamation mark.   The By-Laws of our societies are supposed to be like the U.S. Constitution in what we follow and obey.   Otherwise, we may as well kiss them off and call them By-Bys, laws not to be upheld.

Get it?  Go read the by-laws of your nearest jazz society and see how it defines their purpose.   Then ask if that purpose is being upheld.

Toodles,
B.#