[Dixielandjazz] Bill Sharp message about presenting JAZZ music

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 12:38:27 PST 2013

 Without quoting Bill's long and interesting message, I will add some comments.
I agree that the addition of so many "non-jazz" oriented groups - especially at festivals is not only concerning, but frustrating.
It is always the old cop-out about "selling more tickets."  I think that the biggest problem with so many of these festivals is that they have always gone with the "bigger is better" axiom.  I think a festival that was a bit smaller, but kept to being a "real" jazz festival would be more embraced by both the musicians and the jazz audiences.
While my festival in Prescott isn't a "trad" jazz festival, it is a JAZZ festival.  It is very successful - BECAUSE we have kept it small and not gotten "too big for our britches."  We have also stuck to our commitment to jazz music no matter what.
With regard to the jazz societies, I also agree wholeheartedly.
Also - I can remember many times when some dancers - who really didn't care about the music much at all, would complain about:
1. The size of the dance floor.
2. It was either too slippery or not slippery enough.
3. It wasn't right in front of the band
4. A myriad of other things
My answer - expecially when I was producing the Nugget Festival and the SF Rotary Festival was this:
"See the sign above the stage?  It says Jazz Festival - not Dance Festival.  We try to accomodate you as much as possible, but this festival is really about LISTENING."
Now - my only minor disagreement with Bill might be that I feel jazz is an ever changing and expanding art form.  I have always felt - and my bands have shown my feelings - that even traditional jazz doesn't have to be played just like 90 year old records.  I LOVE playing the traditional repertoire, but I love to play that repertoire with a bit more of a modern approach. (Still using the "proper" instrumentation.)  I know some purists don't agree with that, but I have always felt and still do, that the people playing the music we love - at the time of it's inception - were the avant guarde artists of their time - venturing into new ideas and concepts.

Mike Vax
Friends of Big Band Jazz, Prescott Jazz Summit,
Stan Kenton Alumni Band
www.mikevax.net
www.bigbandjazz.net
www.prescottjazz.com