[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Fw: Have Guitar will Travel.docx

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Wed Jan 9 17:56:58 PST 2013

I agree it is great to have an instrument with you, I took my guitar and
banjo both when backpacking across Europe in the 70's, but these days I
have just seen too many photos and youtubes of mangled guitars posted on
the internet, some by musicians I know, it scares me to death.

I travel very little anymore, when I do it is by car or train, so perhaps
I'm just getting spooked by ghosts in my old age.  Nonetheless, between
customs people compounding instruments from those who can't produce the
documents to excuse bringing them and baggage handlers who somehow find the
shape of an acoustic instrument reminds them of lacrosse, I think if I were
going anywhere to play, I'd make arrangements to borrow or rent once I got
there.

mind you, all that said, I know for a fact my bari has been pretty much
around the world multiple times with the previous owner, and all I had to
do was carry it across the parking lot to stupidly lose my grip and invoke
$100 in key-mechanism repairs!

--
*Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com*
*A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com*