[Dixielandjazz] Thrift

Augustine Daniel ds.augustine at utexas.edu
Wed Feb 27 15:48:56 PST 2013

DJML (and others)--
    The band has only been in existence since (i would guess) late 2012, and didn't join Facebook until January 29, 2013.  Most of the musicians are in fact young (or at least young in spirit).  I think the membership varies a little, if you go by the personnel listed on various YouTube pages.  But they're all old pros in terms of experience, having played many years in Austin and elsewhere.
    The other bands that they play in around Austin have a similar focus as far as the kind of songs they play (1920s-30s, and not the usual ones), but more standard OKOM instrumentation.  Examples of other such local bands they play in are:

East Side Dandies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK95QpxCUhk mostly in the dark),
Mission City Hot Rhythm Cats (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPl6tKdZ0xI),
Alice Spencer and Her Rubber Band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIhoYeyPW2E),
Albanie Falletta and Her Fellas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBbzhkEo15c),