[Dixielandjazz] "All Star" thread and a question

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Feb 25 14:10:09 PST 2013

Mike Vax wrote:

Ø  First of all, I am confused.  When I send a message to this address, does it just

Ø  go to Bob Ringwald to be put up on the DJML, or does it go to individuals who are

Ø  on the list?

The latter. It goes directly to the list members.

When you address a post to DJML, put the DJML address in the To: box.

For some reason, the DJML software was changed a few years ago so that even though you put the DJML address in the To: box, when the members get it, their personal address ends up in the To: box and the DJML address is in the CC: box. This can be confusing.

Don’t ask me why. It is one of programming mysteries of the software which we do not do  and have no control over.

Ø  I think that this has become a bit convoluted, at least from my post, which was the

Ø  one that said "All Star put downs."

Ø  I had put a message on the list about the Stan Kenton Alumni Band touring in the

Ø  East in April.  It is NOT called an all star band in it's name.  I had a sentence

Ø  in the message about it being a "true all star band" with regard to the musicians

Ø  who are in the band.

Ø  A certain band leader came on very soon after my message and had a whole tirade about

Ø  all star bands and how many of the musicians weren't really all stars.

Ø  I then came on with my list of who is in the Kenton Alumni Band, and yes I was a

Ø  little "miffed..."

Yeah Mike, I saw the tirade about all star bands and wondered why it came out of nowhere. I thought perhaps it was pointed at the name of the band we have at Nick’s in Pacifica once a month. Funny, I didn’t connect it with your post, even though I did read your post all the way through.

Ø  I then saw a bunch of unrelated messages with the same subject title.

Yes, I noticed the subject line on a bunch of messages that had nothing to do with the original all star  put down subject.

Ø  So - sorry if I caused any confusion.  I just felt that my describing the band as

Ø  an all star group, as it really is, had been misconstrued.

Ø  Mike Vax

No need to apologize Mike. As I said in an earlier post, IMO, and it is only my opinion, the tirade was unnecessary and negative.

However, we have to remember that the DJML is not moderated. We have over 620 members with probably 620 different ideas on various subjects. As long as no one flames, gets nasty, abusive, off-topic or philthy, members are free to post what they want. It is still a free country . . . At least for a while yet…

-Bob Ringwald

DJML Moderator