[Dixielandjazz] All Star Put Down

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 02:17:10 PST 2013

Hello Rbert,
Your comment rings to mind, yet again, one of the greatest trumpeters
of the 1920's, Jabbo Smith.  Jabbo Smith continued playing in the
post-WWII era, but, unfortunately, was not recorded (if there were
some obscure recordings, I have not heard of them), while all that
time fanatical fans recorded obscure, and hardly deserving, New
Orleans musicians for the single reason of their being from New
Orleans.  By the time Jabbo Smith had been rediscovered, he was past
his prime; when I heard him in The HAgue, he could hardly play!
A similar thing happened to musicians who stayed in Chicago, although
that was at least partly alleviatied by Riverside's "Chicago: The
Living Legends."  Unfortunately, most musicians represented were not
at their best then.
Cheers