[Dixielandjazz] ODJB Columbias (was Happy Anniversary)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 24 15:22:38 PST 2013

Marek Boym wrote:
> The January date is given in the booklet accompanying the Jazz Odyssey
> set, and, indeed, in my copy of Rust.
> Were the Columbia sides reissued before the Odyssey set?

Dear Marek,
"At The Darktown Strutters' Ball" and "Indiana" were originally released on Columbia A 2297 in about September 1917 and shortly after on English Columbia 2903.
I believe that the 1963 LP set Columbia C3L-30, "Jazz Odyssey Vol. 1. The sound of New Orleans" (which I have) was the first reissue of "Darktown Strutters' Ball'. The set was later reissued as single LPs in the UK.
Four masters of "Darktown Strutters Ball" and three of "Indiana"were recorded, and one alternative 'take' of each tune was also released on Columbia A-2297.
I have the 4 'takes'.
The first reissue of both tunes was probably the Dutch EP, Philips 436000 in its Classic Jazz Masters series (I have this) and on LP Gaps 190 (which I have lost somewhere). Early to mid 1960s.
The two tunes have been subsequently reissued, but not widely, on CD (King Jazz, Affinity, Avid...).
As usual from me, more than you needed to know.
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.