[Dixielandjazz] "Melody in F"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 22 12:11:18 PST 2013

 Ken Gates wrote [snipped]:
> One of my fakebooks...also includes "Melody in F"...unusual title amidst the mixture of 20s jazz and 30s swing tunes.
> Composed by Anton Rubenstein...jazz versions by Art Tatum and Teddy Wilson...must be jazz/swing band recordings out there also.
> Is that in the song list of any band members on DJML?

Dear Ken,
Recorded versions include:
Art Landry		1923
Red Nichols 	1931
Tommy Dorsey	1937
Count Basie 	1938
Teddy Wilson 	1939
Art Tatum 	1943&1952
Stuff Smith 	1943
Ted Heath 	1957
Glen Gray 		1961
Kenny Ball 	2002
Sir Roland Hanna 	2002
Dave Frishberg	2002
Dick Hyman and Chris Hopkins (four hands)  2006
plus several names mouldy me does not recognise.
It is not on our band's playlist, but you may give DJMLer lurker Jack Wiard ideas.
8>)
Very kind regards,