[Dixielandjazz] "Melody in F"

Augustine Daniel ds.augustine at utexas.edu
Fri Feb 22 09:01:31 PST 2013

    Back when i was in high school, i (or my parents) bought an LP on Verve MGV-2065 (1957) called "Freddy Morgan -- Mr. Banjo".  It featured a cover with him with a full-bore grin, and on the recording there are some other (reputedly) members (not named) of the Spike Jones band, including a soprano sax, piano, drums, and a wonderful tuba player (might have been Country Washburne, i suppose).
    There are a number of websites listing the songs (such as http://www.discogs.com/Freddy-Morgan-Mr-Banjo/release/1013139), one of which is "Pickin' Melody in F".
    This has always been one of my favorite recordings, and i played tuba along with it for years.  It's got some other nice tunes, such as "My Banjo at Thy Sweet Voice", "Libes-Strum", "Swingin' the Double Eagle", and "William Tell Rag".
    I don't know of any other recording (at least that i have) with this tune on it.  I just wish i had a better copy of this LP, as it's scratchy and i broke a wedge off the edge of it accidentally so i can't listen to the first two songs.
    'Twould be nice to have more info about the personnel on this recording, as well as leadsheets for the tunes or the actual arrangements (long gone, of course).

    Dan