[Dixielandjazz] Benny Carter (was The Big 18)

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Feb 19 08:58:53 PST 2013

Hi Folks,

Firstly apologies for the misleading statement in my post: the Carter
biography states that OK for Baby was in the repertoire of the Jimmy
Lunceford band, with an arrangement by Lonnie Wilfong (a new name to me),
but doesn't state whether Lunceford ever recorded it. It does state that it
was "recorded by Les Brown among others" and Bill has kindly supplied the
details of that version.

I've just listened to the Carter version and don't know how I missed it when
I was selecting material for my band's Carter project with the great English
altoist Alan Barnes. The tune sounds to me like a paraphrase of Taps Miller,
but it also reminds me strongly of something else, possibly a Glenn Miller
piece, which I can't nail right now. I once asked Benny about the problem
that confronts all composers and arrangers sooner or later: did I really
write that or have I recycled something I've heard previously? Arrangers and
composers tend to have minds that are like musical sponges and soak up all
sorts of phrases and progressions from all manner of different sources.
Benny's reply was that he used to worry about it, but now (early 1990s) he
reckoned if he thinks it's good enough, it's his!

Benny's arrangement is first class, as you might expect, and very redolent
of the prevailing musical styles, while the band is a cracker, with a great
trumpet solo by Benny's favourite trumpeter, Bill Coleman. The full line-up
was: Bill Coleman, Shad Collins, Russell Smith (tp), Sandy Williams, Milton
Robinson (tb), Carl Frye, George Dorsey (as), Stafford Simon, Sammy Davis
(ts), Sonny White (p), Ulysses Livingston (g), Hayes Alvis (b), Keg Purnell
(d). It's just the perfect piece for playing at a Swing Dance Society gig,
so I feel another chart coming on!

Cheers,

Ken