[Dixielandjazz] Benny Carter (was The Big 18)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 18 19:33:27 PST 2013

Ken Mathieson wrote [in part] to Marek:

> ...Okay for Baby...associated with Benny Carter? Indeed it was. Benny wrote and arranged it for a recording by his orchestra for Decca on May 20, 1940... and according to the discography in the biography of Benny Carter by Berger, Berger & Patrick, it was also recorded by Les Brown and others. It was also in the repertoire of Les Brown, but the discography doesn't mention whether Brown ever recorded it.

Dear Ken and Marek,
This is all I could find for OK For Baby/Okay For Baby by Les Brown:

Les Brown And His Orchestra:
Bob Higgins, Paul Montgomery, Bob Scarda, Randy Brooks (tp) Kenny Meisel, Dick Noel (tb) Stumpy Brown (b-tb,vcl) Les Brown (cl,as,arr) Steve Madrick, Hal McKusick (cl,as) Butch Stone (cl,as,bar,vcl) Ted Nash (ts) Eddie Scherr (sop,ts,bar) Billy Rowland (p) Teddy Walters (g) Bob Leininger (b) Dick Shanahan (d).
Spotlight bands broadcast #278, U.S. army base, Miami, Fl, August 10, 1943
    O.K. for baby    Fanfare 30-130

plus

V Disc session, Army Camp Hospital, New Jersey, late July
    Okay for baby   V Disc 305(Army), 85 (Navy)
also on Joyce JRCDRG1011 [CD].

Very kind regards,
Bill.