[Dixielandjazz] The Big 18

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Feb 18 12:49:28 PST 2013

Hi All,

Dingo mentions that Ambrose recorded Hors'd'Oeuvre before it became Sid Philips' sig tune. Indeed he did, but Sid wrote the chart for Ambrose in the first place and was featured on the Ambrose recording from 1935, so it was really associated with Sid from that time on, at least in the UK. The frequent BBC broadcasts by Sid's band cemented the tune in the minds of those growing up in the UK in the 1950s and 60s, which definitely dates Dingo and me! The tune itself dates from 1915 and I definitely don't remember it from its first time around.

Cheers,

Ken