[Dixielandjazz] The Big 18

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 17 15:14:40 PST 2013

Marek Boym wrote [in part]:
> In 1958, RCA recorded...double album "The Big 18."...No idea what the title represents - the band is less than 18, and there are 19
> numbers. Any suggestions?

Dear Marek,
I have always assumed that it represented the instrumentation + arranger.
Four trumpets. four trombones, five reeds, piano, guitar, string bass and drums plus arranger.
The two RCA LPs (which I have) were reissued recently on a Jasmine CD (525) with 18 tracks.
A 19th title, "Quaker City Jazz", was left off the CD.
Which was one reason I didn't replace my LPs with the CD.
The other reason was more practical - I have only played the LPs several times since acquiring them.
Not really my music, notwithstanding the all star personnel used during the two month period the recordings were made:
Billy Butterfield; Buck Clayton; Charlie Shavers; Rex Stewart; Yank Lawson; Lawrence Brown ; Vic Dickenson; Lou McGarity; Dickie Wells; Walt Levinsky; Hymie Schertzer ;Sam Donahue; Boomie Richman; Ernie Caceres; Peanuts Hucko' Johnny Guarnieri; Barry Galbraith; Milt Hinton; Russ Saunders; Jimmy Crawford, Don Lamond and Charles Shirley (arranger).
Very kind regards,
Bill.