[Dixielandjazz] The Peter Comton Big Band

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 11:58:08 PST 2013

The GHB Foundation issued a CD by the Peter Comton Big Band and the
Pat Hawes Band.
I know Pat Hawes, and have some of his recordings in my collection
(inter alia, he played with the Crane River Jazz BAnd and with the
Christie Brothers Jazz Band).  I have tried to get some information on
the Comton Band, but to no avail.  I am not certain as to whether I
have enquired on this list, but I did enquire on the Mississippi RAg
Buleetin Board, and failed.  People sent me the information already
available form the GHB Catalogue, but not more.  Had it been issued on
either Jazzology or GHB, that would have basically satisfy me, but the
Progressive label is tricky, as it has quite a lot of stuff I would
rather not hear.  So I would not buy anything from that label without
knowing the nature thereof.  Sure, plenty of good stuff there - two
volumes of The Exciting Sax of Sammy Rimmington (Donna's got volume 1,
and it's excellent), a bargain at $10, which GHB now charges therefor,
Cullen Offer, Stff Smith, Derek Smith, et al), but also quite a lot of
"modern" jazz.
I am seeking the information now because I am preparing my 2013 order.
 With all the great music in its catalogue, GHB has something to
please any tradtional jazz or swing fan.
Cheers