[Dixielandjazz] non-PC Choo Choo

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 11 14:35:49 PST 2013

 ROBERT R. CALDER commented:
> Chattanooga, indeed!
> Surely the opening, "Pardon me, boy"  (Boy!!!) is racist and these days unacceptable?
> Roy Williams did remember Al Casey, a mild man as I remember, getting het up in a misunderstanding when a Welsh fan using the traditional "Boyo" form of address, was misheard by Al as "boy" and deeply and understandably resented.

Dear Robert,
Rex Stewart spent six months in Australia touring with Graeme Bell and His Australian Jazz Band and made separate nightclub and concert appearances in Sydney.
Graeme Bell's brother Roger always used the salutation "Hi there boy" (or similar) and Rex was no exception when they met at Melbourne airport.
Following the surprised look on Rex's face a band member later explained that Roger called everyone 'boy'.
(The same way many Australians use the term 'mate'.)
When Rex next saw Roger he greeted him with a big smile and "How's it goin' there boy?"
Instant friends.
Very kind regards,
Bill (but nearly always 'boy' to Roger).