[Dixielandjazz] Recorded Tempos

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Fri Dec 6 17:27:16 PST 2013

Hi Bill,

I apologise if your purist sensibilities have been upset! I listened to
Jimmie Noone's "Blues My Sweaty Nightie Gives To Me" and thought it was an
ambitiously slow tempo. Everyone else seemed to find it easy enough, but the
guitarist certainly found the tempo too ambitious as he was struggling to
hold it down throughout the entire first chorus. So, it might have been the
perfect tempo for Jimmie Noone, but it sure wasn't for his guitarist!

This little thread has reminded me of another musicians' truism: "Every tune
has its perfect tempo, but the snag is it's a different perfect tempo each
time you play it!" It also applies to the way musicians interpret the
rhythmic feel of certain tunes. On all of Louis Armstrong's recordings of
"Muskrat Ramble" from the Hot 5 onwards, he plays the opening theme with a
driving 4/4 feel, yet just about every revivalist band plays the theme in a
pseudo-latin feel or in a tame-sounding 2/4, which to my ears, robs the tune
of much of its impact.

Bill, please don't tell me you prefer Muskrat with a pseudo-latin opening
theme!

Cheers,

Ken