[Dixielandjazz] Recorded Tempos

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 6 15:53:46 PST 2013

Ken Mathieson commented [in part]:
> It just goes to show that the purists don't know what they're talking about most of the time and, in any event, a recording is just a snapshot on a particular day; if they all went in the studio a month later it would all come out sounding different.

Now now Ken y' wee laddie,
Leave us purists alone.
8>)
However dear friend, I do agree with the comment that for some tunes: "it's as though they're telling us how fast they want to be played."
A random thought.
Why do all revivalist bands insist on playing "Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me" at breakneck speed when Jimmie Noone laid down the near perfect tempo in 1928?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PdILJqshL4
Very kind regards,
Bill. The mouldy old fig.