[Dixielandjazz] alphonso trent

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 12:29:00 PST 2013

Marek, that’s what’s so cool about the list and you guys who’ve talked to
> people. We lose history by only listening to recordings without having
> background.

Actually, Paul, I didn't talk to Wilbur de Paris - by the time of my first
visit to the States ha had been dead for seven years!  However, I read jazz
magazines (in the 1960's I subscribed to both Down Beat  and the Jazz
Journal, later - to the Mississippi RAg, and beforehand - to the Polish
"Jazz" monthly) and the sleeve notes.  De Paris was quoted in the notes to
one of his wonderful Atlantic albums.  Oh, I also listened to the VoA "Jazz
Hour" with Willis Conover, a programme not available in the States, to
Humphrey Lyttelton's BBC programmes, etc., and there was a lot of
information, either from the announcers or musicians interviewed.  And
read  books on jazz, some good, some (like "The eart of Jazz") ridiculous,
but all containing lots of information.
Cheers

> Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL
> On Dec 6, 2013, at 9:27 AM, Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When Wilbur de Paris recorded "The Pearls" at a tempo MUCH slower than
> Morton's, he was criticized by purists.
> > His reaction was that he had played with Morton, and his was the correct
> tempo.  Morton tried  to squeeze all the motives int a three minute 78; he
> did not.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure there was proper attention to original recording speed
> either, a topic which exercised John RT Davies and others, sometimes at
> enormous length (so that one might have wished the chatter speeded up)

For those who don't know - John RT Davies was the guru and the high priest
of the art of remastering.

Cheers