[Dixielandjazz] Lu Watters Compostions

Gmail_01 shoring.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 16:45:55 PST 2013

Thanks for the various suggestions.

Here is my original list that I'm pretty sure were all Original compositions by Lu Watters:

Big Bear Stomp
Emperor Norton's Hunch
Sage Hen Strut
Annie Street Rock
Yerba Buena Strut
Doing the Hambone
Antigua Blues
San Andreas Shake, AKA San Andreas Fault
The Villain
Hambone Kelly
Blues Over Bodega
Song of the Cybernetic Chef AKA A Pot of Stew

Someone suggested Minstrels of Annie Street as a possible Lu Watters compostion, however I believe it was written by Turk Murphy.

Another suggestion was Bee's Knees.  Possibly.  Maybe someone on the list knows more about the one.

Someone else suggested the following list.  I suspect the following were not originally composed by Lu Watters, but may have been arranged by him.

Panama
Wolverine Blues
Blues in My Heart
Floatin' Down to Cotton Town
Angel's Ragtime Ball
It's the Talk o f the Town
Fidgety Feet
Stardust
Shake That Thing
Strange Blues
Tiger Rag
You Taught Me to Love Again
Maple Leaf Rag
Careless Love
Muskat Ramble
Dippermouth Blues
St. James Infirmary
Willie the Weeper
Ace in the Hole
Ballin' the Jack
Riverside Blues
St. Louis Blues

I am also aware that Lu wrote a bunch of tunes while in the Navy, on the s/s Antigua and those are referred to the Antigua series.  I can think of two: Antigua Blues and Hambone Kelly that are in that series, but maybe some of the others were composed on that ship.

I welcome any comments or clarifications.

Thanks,
Bob Shoring
San Francisco