[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 16:11:39 PDT 2013

Last Saturday night, Donna and I went to hear the augmented Eli and the
Chocolate factory.  Amnon Ben-Artzi was on trombone, and there was a piano,
expertly played by Nahum Perefrikovich.  A piano definitely makes a
difference, and it was a baby grand, too!
The Holy Lindy-Landers did not show en masse - there was another event as
well that night, so there were not as many dancers as the previous time,
but they danced their asses off.  Despite my appeal to my friends to move
their petrified bottoms, the latte were apparently too stiff!  Still, it
was great fun!  And that Blye Chimay beer issomething else - among the best
I've ever had (OK, I've never tasted the over $100 Sam Adams' Utopia nor
the 400 euro Jacobsev ale).

On Wednesday, it was the monthly Gypsy guitar jam session at the Dancing
Camel, one of the oldest Israeli microbreweries.  I do not pretend the
jammers could upstage Stochello or Fappy or Howard Alden - far from it.
But they were having fun, and it projected.  It was the first time that the
audience outnumbered the players.  A young kid sat next to me.  I asked
whether he played, and he said that he played an electric bass and was not
sure it was "relevant' (his word, not mine).  I suggested he try to adapt;
he did - and it sounded better than just OK.  The beauty of a jam session!
It was the first time I was not too crazy about a Dancing Camel beer - I
asked what seasonal brews they had, they offered Golden Beach, I ordered it
- and did not really like the blend of beer and mint (some other poeple,
including my friend Donna, loved it).  But a pint of Devi's Milk (Lecche
del Diablo) - a wheat beer with hot pepper - rectified it.
Cheers