[Dixielandjazz] perhaps not 'Classic Jazz'

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 14 14:00:28 PDT 2013

Under the happy delusion that I am still busily writing about music --
someone sent me the flier below
I make no comment on the phrase "Classic Jazz"
just thought I'd post this

all the best,
Robert R. Calder

August 14, 2013

To: Listings/Critics/Features
From: Jazz Promo Services
Press Contact: Jim Eigo,jim at jazzpromoservices.com
www.jazzpromoservices.com

LAURA AINSWORTH
TO CHAT WITH HUCKABEE
ON PAST AND FUTURE OF CLASSIC JAZZ

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Dallas, TX –  Eclectus Records artist Laura Ainsworth will be a
guest on Mike Huckabee's nationally syndicated radio show, Wed. Aug.
14.  She'll be talking to Gov. Huckabee about her new album, "Necessary
Evil;" growing up watching her renowned saxophonist father Billy
Ainsworth accompany such idols as Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett and Mel
Torme, and how it influenced her "nu-vintage" style; and how she's
keeping that classic Verve and Capitol style lounge-jazz sound fresh and
alive in the 21st century.

Ms Ainsworth is scheduled to appear in the third hour (around 2:15
EST, 1:15 CST on stations that air the show live). “The Mike Huckabee
Show” is heard nationwide on approximately 230 radio stations, via
Cumulus Media.

Laura Ainsworth’s 2011 debut, Keep It To Yourself, scored worldwide radio
play (landing on Jazz Week’s Top Airplay chart tied with Stanley Clarke) and critical hosannas. Jazz Inside devoted a lead review in its
Vocalists issue, raving, “You can keep all those pop divas, the only one for me is Laura Ainsworth… A wonderful modern interpreter of the Great
American Songbook, as well as thoroughly modern styles.”
SomethingElseReviews dubbed it “transcendent” and said that with her
“satiny, impossibly old-fashioned, nearly three-octave voice, Ainsworth
is the very portrait of West Coast cool.” AllAboutJazz.com said she is
“gifted with a sultry, swoon-inducing croon,” and her debut was “among
the year's most consistently engaging jazz releases, performed with
class and heartfelt passion.” The Dallas Morning News called her voice
“sublime,” and Robert Sutton at JazzCorner.com lauded her as “a funny
lady with a jewel of a voice” who “weaves past and present with stunning power.”

Now, Laura Ainsworth and her partner, producer/arranger/pianist
extraordinaire Brian Piper are back, bigger and better, with her new
album, Necessary Evil, joined by some of the top jazz artists in Texas.
Tracks include fresh twists on standards, revitalizations of forgotten
obscurities and great new songs in elegant styles, such as the potential
AC smash, “The Lies of Handsome Men” and the instant Big Band classic,
“Last Train to Mercerville,” featuring an all-star 13-piece horn
section.

Necessary Evil’s theme is love songs with a twist: some heartbreaking,
some with a touch of the wicked humor that has made Laura’s syndicated
parody songs a mainstay of radio shows around the world. In the end, we
learn that for pure, true romance, we must turn to the great old songs
of writers such as Johnny Mercer, the type of tunes Laura grew up
with as her dad, renowned sax/clarinet player Billy Ainsworth,
accompanied Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Mel Torme and
other icons of the Great American Songbook.