[Dixielandjazz] "London" a film with Paul Whiteman

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 12 22:14:10 PDT 2013

Jack Mitchell wrote [in part]:
> In the Perth newspaper THE WEST AUSTRALIAN for November 8, 1927 is advertised a movie apparently called LONDON. Dorothy Gish is listed as one of the stars. Also "You'll see London's fashionable Night Clubs.  Paul Whiteman and his Jazz Band at the famous Kit Kat Club.  See the sensatational DANCE OF DEATH."
> ...It's not mentioned in David Meeker's JAZZ IN THE MOVIES (first edotion.

Dear Jack,
I have the 1983 Thomas  A DeLong book 'Pops" in which the film is mentioned.

"Again, in 1926 he and Vanda [Whiteman] were shot at the Kit Kat Club for a sequence in the feature 'London."

The Wickipedia source refers to it as a 'lost' film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BFI_75_Most_Wanted

Googling also found the following, but no video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_(1926_film)

http://www.goldensilents.com/stars/dorothygish.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5faGhTVliQ

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/london/1065823/synopsis

http://www.amazon.com/London-Movie-Poster-Inches-argaretYardeElissa/dp/B004US82QM