[Dixielandjazz] Mike Meddings, Jelly Roll Morton scholar died June 30-- Hal Smith writes

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Aug 8 12:41:55 PDT 2013

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list;  DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Versatile drummer Hal Smith with the Jim Cullum Band in San Antonio sends
this note about his connection with Mike Meddings.  At my request, I asked
about Hal's current musical activity.  For those of you who don't know Hal,
he spent some time in New Orleans and for over a decade was connected with
the America's Finest  Dixieland Jazz Society in San Diego.  He has written a
number of articles on jazz history for the AFDJS newsletter.  He has other
historical interests as well.

So-here are Smith's comments on both.  Thanks Hal.