[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland (?) Jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 14:22:38 PDT 2013

On 5 August 2013 23:55, Bert Thompson <dr_bert at juno.com> wrote:

> Re what to call the type of jazz we subscribe to, I have never been a fan
> of "Dixieland jazz" as to me it suggests straw hats and striped vests and
> ensemble-solos-ensemble format on every tune.

The best Dixieland bands I've heard wore no straw hats or stripped vests,
even if I find Acker Bilk's derby hat and Victorian waistcoats (vests in
American) ridiculous.  The format is another matte, but, as long as the
ensembles swing and the solos are good, I don't mind.  What I do mind is
the ridden-to-death warhorses!

>  For a while I thought "traditional jazz" filled the bill, but in several
> places recently (such as record stores--there are still a few around!), I
> have seen Miles Davis' and DIzzy Gillespie's names listed under the
> category "traditional jazz."  Perhaps "classic jazz" will do;

I've seen both, and even Coltrane, catalogued unde "classic jazz."

Cheers