[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland (?) Jazz

Bert Thompson dr_bert at juno.com
Mon Aug 5 13:55:18 PDT 2013

Re what to call the type of jazz we subscribe to, I have never been a fan of "Dixieland jazz" as to me it suggests straw hats and striped vests and ensemble-solos-ensemble format on every tune.  For a while I thought "traditional jazz" filled the bill, but in several places recently (such as record stores--there are still a few around!), I have seen Miles Davis' and DIzzy Gillespie's names listed under the category "traditional jazz."  Perhaps "classic jazz" will do; I have also seen "early jazz," which has possibilities.  I doubt Miles and Dizzy would be found under "early jazz," but as Fats said, "One never knows, do one?"   Regards,  Bert Thompson