[Dixielandjazz] Hot (?) Jazz

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Aug 5 11:51:57 PDT 2013

 Well, since I had the pleasure of leading the Dukes of Dixieland back in the mid 70's, I have never had a problem with the term "Dixieland."
Must have been something right for that group, since they have been one of the biggest selling such bands in history and are still going strong, which also makes them one of the oldest continually running traditional bands ever.
I personally do NOT like the term "hot" jazz.  How does that really differentiate the music from other forms of jazz??  Any form of jazz that you can mention has "hot" tunes, as well as laid back tunes, ballads, and many more types of arrangements.

 Also - seeing that the new Gatsby movie has no real "jazz" music in it, I certainly don't see how using that description to current customers would let them know anything about the music that we play.

Mike Vax
Friends of Big Band Jazz, Prescott Jazz Summit,
Stan Kenton Alumni Band
www.mikevax.net
www.bigbandjazz.net
www.prescottjazz.com