[Dixielandjazz] Jess Stacy

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 4 16:38:32 PDT 2013

Robert Ringwald wrote:
> I interviewed Jess Stacy on my radio show back sometime in the 1980s. It seems that Jess was the first musician to walk out on the stage at the 1938 Benny Goodman Carnegie Hall concert...

Dear Bob,
Back in mid 1969, Swaggie Records released an LP album (S1248) featuring the Jess Stacy piano solos made for Decca and Brunswick in 1935, 1951 and 1956 for which I, as usual, wrote the cover notes.
Unfortunately, my (pre-internet) research revealed several early-1930's black holes in his musical career, about which nothing was known.
Early in my life, I had leant that if you need to know or want something "always start at the top".
So, optimistically, I posted the draft notes to Mr Stacy for comment with a request for the missing information.
A prompt airmail reply arrived ("Dear Bill...Sincerely Jess") commenting on the "amazingly complete" research and returning my draft saying, "I have tried to fill in the gaps by retyping your notes with my insertions."
All the missing details literally filled-in. Plus additional information.
He also thanked me for "making no mention of my short marriage to Lee Wiley..."
Very kind regards,
Bill.