[Dixielandjazz] Musescore

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Fri Aug 2 11:19:41 PDT 2013

no, it does not, it is not permitted access to finale or sibelius
files under the US laws that say file formats qualify for copyright
protection. the proprietary software companies do this so that you are
locked into their product by the weight of your old files, and that
means they aren't required to innovate to keep your attention.

it is somewhat possible to translate finale MUS and sibelius SIB files
into the open-standard MusicML format and then import that into
Musescore, but that format is not expressive enough to cover much more
than very basic scores.

We did try to warn everyone about these predatory practices of
proprietary software way back in 1982, but no one would listen to us,
and today, this is where we are.  Electronics, on the other hand,
quickly recognized the advantages of open standard interfaces that
begat a great blossoming of innovation and opportunity.

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*