[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Stompers of Warsaw

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:55:51 PDT 2013

This comes from Polish Jazz Vol.1.  Not that there weren't earlier
recordings, but it was the first band recorded for the series.  All numbers
are by Polish composers, including one from an opera, or Polish folk
songs.  Henryk Majewski (whom I mentioned in my previous) is on trumpet.
The band's playing at the Warsaw Jazz Jamboree got very good write-up from
the avant-garde trumpeter Don Ellis.  Having read it in the Down Beat, I
sought the record.  A friend sent it to me shortly after my wedding in
1965.  Enjoy!
The video is followed by a collective personnel, which is not very useful.
The trombonist is Dymitr Markiewicz, whom I heard in 2003 with the Swedish
Paul and His Gang.  I might have been the only member of the audience old
enough to remember that he had played with the legendary Stompers (later
renamed just The Warsaw Stompers).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cl_i1O7CTYA#t=1s