[Dixielandjazz] RE; [Dixieland Jazz] Drummerlessness

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Apr 16 14:15:44 PDT 2013

Rick Campbell wrote:

> Over the past four years, the Milneburg Jazz Band, usually a trio,
> has done quite nicely without a drummer playing a wide range of
> early jazz classics. ...
>
> We have a little saying: "We don't rush or drag, because we don't
> have a drummer." :-)
>
> (Yes, when we play as a larger group, we often add a sensitive
> and non-intrusive drummer as the fifth or sixth piece.)
>
> But if a band needs a drummer to hold its rhythm section together,
> you are in a lot of trouble.

I couldn't agree more.

The Zinfandel Stompers have been together since the Spring of 2007, and I
can recall two gigs where we used a drummer. In one case, the client
requested we expand our then-usual 5-piece band to pieces, by the addition
of a pianist and a drummer. (Both of the additional players were excellent,
& we had no ensemble problems.) In the other case, we were performing for
the South Bay Traditional Jazz Society, and a young drummer who had attended
jazz camp on a scholarship provided by the
Society was present, so we asked him to come up & sit in with us for part of
a set. (Again, we had no ensemble problems.)

We've since added a pianist to the Zinfandel Stompers, and he integrates
wonderfully with the group. But we generally use no drummer, and we like it
that way. Our banjo/guitar player plays hi-hat at the same time, and our
front line has a "tree" of accessories -- tambourine, cowbell, two
woodblocks, spoons & a splash cymbal -- which they use to supplement our
sound when someone else has a solo.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers