[Dixielandjazz] RE; [Dixieland Jazz] Drummerlessness

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Tue Apr 16 13:58:32 PDT 2013

Over the past four years, the Milneburg Jazz Band, usually a trio, has done quite nicely without a drummer playing a wide range of early jazz classics.
The reason is simple: leader Dave Duthie on string bass and Dave Johnson on guitar/banjo, both have excellent rhythm and really hold tempos perfectly, with plenty of drive and swing.
We have a little saying: "We don't rush or drag, because we don't have a drummer." :-)

(Yes, when we play as a larger group, we often add a sensitive and non-intrusive drummer as the fifth or sixth piece.)

But if a band needs a drummer to hold its rhythm section together, you are in a lot of trouble.

Rick Campbell
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net