[Dixielandjazz] Turk Murphy

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Apr 14 08:52:56 PDT 2013

Keith Garner wrote:

Yes Marek, I agree with you, the Heidelberg LP has long been one of my
favourites.

It also gives me the opportunity to make a comment I wanted to make
during the recent Ken Colyer thread but didn't get around to.  It comes
from a piano playing friend and colleague - he was quoting someone, I
can't remember who, when he said that you have to have a very good
drummer for it to be better than having no drummer at all. For me the
Heidelberg LP bears this out - I can't think of any drummer who would
add a single thing to it.
(snip)

Oh, I think Hal Smith would have been great on the album.

At the time that was recorded, I was playing intermissions at Turk’s club, Earthquake Magoon’s, and playing with the replacement band while Turk was in Germany.

When I first started playing intermissions at Magoons, the drummer Smokey Stover was with the band.

On some earlier recordings, I don’t know how many, Thad (Wilkerson) Vanden was on drums.

I wonder what ever happened to Thad?

--Bob Ringwald