[Dixielandjazz] New jazz-tuba CD and mute

Augustine Daniel ds.augustine at utexas.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:48:35 PDT 2013

Folks--
    A friend of mine, Steve Call (professor of tuba and jazz at BYU) just sent me his newest CD of jazz for tuba.  It's called "The Joint Is Jumpin'" and is available at his website jazzforcows.com or http://www.newhot5.com/order-a-cd/ (and yes, he's the one who originally played jazz-tuba for cows on YouTube).  On this CD he's joined by one of my favorite trumpet players, Bryan Shaw, who plays with the High Sierra Jazz Band and is one of the best in the business (both him and them).  Steve not only plays great jazz tuba, but also doubles on double-belled euphonium.
    AND, he has discovered a new tuba-mute, but it requires him to operate the tuba's valves with his LEFT hand, so he can manipulate the new plunger-style tuba-mute with his right hand.  He uses it when playing Ellington's "Black and Tan Fantasy" for a "wah wah" effect.  But, he says, "Unsuccessful in finding an industrial-size plunger to use with my tuba, and after trying the lids of trash cans and diaper pails, I finally found the perfect tuba 'plunger' mute.  It is the top of a cake container discovered at Bed Bath and Beyond in the "Beyond" department."
    Anyway, it is a very nice CD, and i recommend it highly.

    Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    Jazz musician Bobby Hackett was once addressed by a customs
**    official, whose sceptical eye had espied his trumpet case:
**        "Is that a musical instrument?"  he asked.
**        "Sometimes," replied Hackett