[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and religion

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 13:58:32 PDT 2013

My new book about the relationship between jazz and religion is ready
for delivery next week! 200 pages in large format 21 x 28 cm with a lot
of information about how jazz and religion influenced each other,
including facts about more than 450 religious melodies played by jazz
bands, with the composers and lyricists, the first jazz recordings, in
many cases, with English subtitles and, where applicable, Swedish
titles. The first reference work of its kind. The cover picture shows
the Gota River instruments before Jazz at Vespers in Stenkullen Church 2012

 From the contents:
Jazz roots
Blues
Spirituals, Gospel
Brass Bands, funeral music
Christian elements in jazz
Influence from other religions
Religious / moral opposition to jazz, rock, etc.
Jazz and Religion in the United States during the 1920s-30s
Bunk Johnson, George Lewis and the New Orleans Revival
Jazz at Vespers: George Lewis' sevices in Oxford, Ohio 1953-54
George Lewis later religious recordings. George Lewis Plays Hymns
Jazz and Religion in the United States after 1954
Jazz and religion in other countries
Jazz and Religion in Sweden
Religious music with secular artists - Christian popular music - worship
music - songs of praise
Religious texts to secular melodies
Harmonic and other similarities between jazz and religious music
Religious songs recorded by traditional jazz band
Albums with religious jazz recordings (traditional jazz)

The book is written in Swedish, but I will enclose a CD with English
translation.
Info www.jazzhistoria.se
<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jazzhistoria.se&h=YAQGT58Tp&s=1>
jazzhistoria at gmail.com