[Dixielandjazz] Electro music

alevy at alevy.com alevy at alevy.com
Mon Apr 8 11:35:45 PDT 2013

In 1952 or so Dick Jacobs and I were talking about
the theramin. He said "If they ever put a keyboard
on that thing, there goes the industry."

At a meeting of the (A)merican (S)ociety of
(M)usic (A)rrangers Rudy Schramm gave a talk on
how he created music on the computer at N.Y.U.
(It could have been Columbia) I don't remember.
It took an entire day to create on measure of music.
I have a tape, somewhere, of the results.

Years later, somehow I got my hands on the Lp "The Hotel Band".
I marveled at the technology. I certainly preferred
live musicians, but it was cool to hear what could
be done. Especially remembering what Dr. Schramm
could accomplish in the fifties.

In 1974 or '75 I quit the music biz. Plenty of personal
problems. In the early 90's some of the folk from
Coda software (Finale) and a few friends got me
to play again using a computer and a Yamaha keyboard.
So, using a fake book, I improvised a bunch of tunes.
Here is an example:

http://alevy.com/midi/lfo_orc4/ibelmp3.html

It served it's purpose. I taught myself how to play and write again
P.S. Your reviews,good or bad, are welcome.

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com