[Dixielandjazz] Ken Colyer

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 13:38:22 PDT 2013

Not disputing your taste, Tony, nor anybody else's.
In 1964 I went to Ken Colyer's club and heard what I suumed to be the
Colyer band, and it was laclustre.  As to records, of those I have I like
the one with Sammy Rimmington the best.  Some years ago my friend played
for us a Phillips cassette by the Colyer band (I had bought it for her, as
part of a ten or so package, to cheer her up when she was in a particularly
bad mood).  It sounded better  than I expected from Colyer, and guess what:
Sammy Rimmington was on clarinet again.  I have never heard Colyer with Ian
Wheeler, so I have no opinion; however, I consider Wheeler among the top
traditional clarinet players, and have a few of his records.  Acker Bilk is
nostalgia, so I cannot really be objective; Acker Bilk (not Mr. yet) and
the Paramount Jazz Band was probably the first western band to visit Poland
after jazz became "kosher," and certainly the first to visit the city of
Wroclaw (Vrotzlav) where I lived, in either 1953 or 1954.
Cheers