[Dixielandjazz] A Word About Mike Vax - 2

art wood artwoo at aol.com
Tue Apr 2 21:23:09 PDT 2013

It is ironic that Mike Vax is keeping the Stan Kenton memory alive and one of Mike's best friends is Fred Radke who is the leader of the Harry James band. Both Mike and Fred are alumni of Oakland High School and were classmates together in the late 50's. If Mike and Fred were around in the heyday of big band jazz they would have been in the ranks of Conrad Gozzo, Ziggy Elman, Bunny Berrigan or Johnny Best, etc.
The Oakland High student dance band was directed by Jewel Lord who in my opinion was one of the most inspiring music teachers I've ever known.
I was lucky enough to have been one of Jewel's students as well and easily recall his encouraging methodology. He was one of those unforgettable teachers who instilled a love and respect for music in countless students.