[Dixielandjazz] Fw: David Swift

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Sep 27 16:23:49 PDT 2012

List Mates,

Here is some info about the Firehouse 5 that might shed a little light on the drummer.  This is from Roy Brewer. Roy worked at the Disney Studios in Burbank from 1954 until a few years ago when he retired. He used to hang out at lunch time on Tuesdays and Thursdays when the FH5+2 rehearsed on the lot.

Roy also was a trombone player and was the first trombonist in my Great Pacific JB before Bob Havens.

As I understand it, the whole thing started with guys bringing in Jazz records at lunch time. Eventually people started bringing in instruments and playing along. That is how the FH5+2 was born.

After Ward disbanded the band, musicians who worked at Disney, including Frank Thomas, long-time FH5+2 pianist still got together at lunch to jam. Other musicians were invited to the sessions also.

When I first moved to Los Angeles in 1979, Pete Daily, who was playing at the sessions, invited me to come along with him. That is how I eventually met the guys whom I formed my Great Pacific JB with.

--Bob Ringwald