[Dixielandjazz] OKOM at Burning Man 2012!

domitype domitype at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 21:02:05 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Reporting in from the high Nevada desert as Burning Man winds down. We had a rather interesting time this year with several musicians playing OKOM and "almost OKOM" over the last week. There were several afternoon concerts in an area called "The French Quarter" with a flaming Sousaphone or two, a Peck Horn, a violin and viola, sop sax, mobile vibraphone, and a wonderful young woman who could belt out opera and old blues with equal high quality!
We had a banjo player from Seattle who has played with many bands there, and just as we were packing up to head home I met a rather famous central California OKOM cornet player (but we didn't get a chance to play together.)

There was a Mardi Gras party with two bands and a NOLA style funeral parade on Sunday. The audience, dancers and everybody else were really enjoying all the old music in the otherwise mostly very modern techno-disco kind of event.

It will be good to get back to more normal gigs,  but it sure was fun here!

Dave Richoux