[Dixielandjazz] FW: Vocals -

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Sep 1 10:23:23 PDT 2012

Dick wrote:
>Modern audiences seem to really be tuned into vocals.

I had the opportunity to discover just how much vocals & even a "Good
Evening, everyone" helps connect a band to an audience when I lost my
voice...couldn't speak a word...a few years ago.   After the first few days,
I was able to speak, but not put my voice "out there" for months.  I am of
course now all better, having found there was some non-permanent damage to
my vocal chords.

Strangely enough, in a band where I am the only foreigner, guess who does
all the talking & singing?  It's strickly because I'm the only one that's
got the cheek to do it!  :>

Anyway, during those months we continued to perform, but were a fairly
silent band as far as vocals & speaking goes.  Our cd sales took at least a
95% dive during that period!

I find that interesting as I am certainly not one of those "great" singers,
nor am I the last word in comical presentation.

So, I narrow it all down to communication.  Although the band can
communicate on an instrumental level, it never reaches the masses the way
vocalization does.  Singing & presenting makes that connection that everyone
can understand easily, and brings an audience closer to the band, even
though we use both in a limited capacity during an evening.

Jim