[Dixielandjazz] Why Did The Cornet Become a Second-Rate Citizen?

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sun Oct 28 13:10:49 PDT 2012

Thanks, Bob.

This was a delightful and informative read especially for the comments (by
Chris Tyle and Chris Albertson) to the article which explore the reasons
behind Armstrong's switch to trumpet. However, I disagree with the statement
that Satchmo wasn't well-known in the music community. What should have been
mentioned was Fletcher Henderson's eagerness to recruit Armstrong for his
band after hearing him play in New Orleans and the reception Louis received
after he had joined the Henderson band and had played several solos.

Yes, the public didn't know him, but he was well-respected by musicians who
heard him play.

Stan
Stan Brager