[Dixielandjazz] Evan Cristopher

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 13:34:18 PDT 2012

Marek wrote:

In any event, a friend and I are going to hear him again when he comes
(January or February) with Django a la Creole.  But I am not sure that
my other friends will!

Hi Marek et al,

You must persuade your friends to attend!. Evan with his own band is always going to be better than Evan with a hastily-assembled pick-up group. For a start Django a la Creole will play their own own repertoire with simple but highly effective arrangements on eclectic and interesting material. Then there's quality of the individual members of the band: David Blenkhorn is an outstanding, hard-swinging guitar soloist, Dave Kelbie is a self-effacing but enormously effective rhythm guitarist, Sebastien Girardot is a first-class soloist and hard-swinging rhythm section bassist and we all know that Evan is a world-class player. Most importantly, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts in this band: their internal balance, control of dynamics, good taste and above all their willingness to play unselfishly for the band make them a formidably hard-hitting little group. I'd be saying all this even if I thought they were a bunch of swines, but they're all good friends of mine and a friendly bunch of guys, so go up and say hello. If your other friends don't go they'll be kicking themselves when they hear the reports!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson