[Dixielandjazz] Big Mama Thornton

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 6 19:36:57 PDT 2012

HOUND DOG

The 1952 recording with bumpy distorted bass and expert guitar has one Pete Lewis playing the latter instrument in a blues style of the time.
This is on YouTube
The video clip on YouTube from German TV is from the same tour which produced the LP including

Big Mama Thornton (vcl) acc by Eddie Boyd (p) Buddy Guy (g) Jimmy Lee Robinson (el-b) Fred Below (d)
Hamburg,  October 7, 1965
Hound Dog  Fontana 885422TY,

And the same band recorded the same number and more for an Arhoolie LP entitled BIG MAMA THORNTON IN EUROPE

It was interesting the way in which these tours included women singers, beginning with Helen Humes and then Victoria Spivey and then Ms. Thornton, considerably younger but able to fit in with the electrified version of Country Blues a la Muddy Waters, and everything else from Bessie Smith to Aretha Franklin, neither of whom could match her on harmonica. She was still in her collossal prime and the trip to Europe revived her career.  The recording with Phil Guy was made at a concert in Canada in 1977

A BIG LADY SHE WAS!

Robert R. Calder